Thursday, March 25, 2010

a few things I've learned

Being married for a year has been amazing. Not perfect, but definitely worth everything. I decided to make a list of a few things that I've learned this past year.

-Going hiking with Joel is a struggle. He hikes like he's racing for his life, and I meander along at a snail's pace, stopping to drink water, poke at nature, or take pictures every 5 minutes. Pretty much we're the most incompatible hiking team alive.
Case in point: the Crater Lake hike. He left me for dead in the beating sun with no food or water for what seemed like days. Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad, but still. It truly is a miracle to me how slow he can walk in a grocery store compared to how fast he can walk up a steep mountain.


-Footrubs, compliments, and "thankyous" can work wonders.

-Camping is even more fun than ever. Making s'mores, sitting around the campfire, and assembling the tent in record time never gets old.


-Camping in a complete downpour all night long is not so fun. Unless you brought a laptop and a DVD. Now we're talking! We watched "The Proposal" in the wilderness and it was funny. Nevermind that our tent was slightly flooded the next morning and we had to leave early!

-I've learned the value of a crockpot. As Joel would say, "You can just stick crap in that thing and it still comes out good!"

-Hiding the xbox video games is not the solution to get Joel to stop playing them (although it may be very entertaining)
-Completely unplugging and removing the xbox is also not the solution (although it may seem like a great idea at the time)
-Sometimes I just want to throw the xbox into the above picture.

-No matter how big the spider or how loud I scream, Joel is still going to take his sweet time getting to the nasty bug that is very big and scary.

-Playing games is always entertaining. Joel has accepted that I don't have any sense of competition, and I've accepted that Joel feels no remorse for flat-out cheating in a game if I'm not looking.
Mancala is still the greatest game ever.

Although we do play a lot of cards...


-Joel has (I think) learned to deal with my constant low blood sugars. He can tell by the temp of my skin if I'm low and, sweet man that he is, will get out of bed at 1 in the a.m. and get me some juice :)

-Praying together every morning and night is very wonderful
-Not everything has to be perfect all the time...although it would be nice sometimes. ;)

All in all,
Life is great. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Oh... where do I begin? You never cease to make me laugh! I love the xbox idea. We need to go camping. Joel is a big cheat in games. No, you don't have a competitive drive. Crock pots are amazing. Never go hiking with me either- I hike like Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really a cute post! Chad cheats too, it drives me crazy. Crockpots are amazing! I laughed when you said it amazes you how fast Joel can walk while hiking but so slow when grocery shopping. So funny.

    ReplyDelete

Followers