Monday, November 4, 2013

DIY fall acorn wreath

Last year when we were at Joel's aunt's farm I gathered a bunch of acorns that were all over the ground. I knew I wanted to make an acorn wreath, but then I got pregnant and then we moved across the country, so that idea got put on hold. This summer I found them in my basement (yay, they made the move!!) and finally my idea came to life!

Step 1: Wash off the acorns and bake them in the oven for at least a few hours. I think I had my oven at 200* for around 5 hours. You guys, I'm not kidding about this part. I found a WORM that got baked while crawling out of the acorn in the oven. It was disgusting.

Step 2: Spraypaint a white foam wreath with a dark color 

Step 3: Start hot-gluing the acorns on the wreath. I just winged it and started putting them on one at a time and eventually figured out the best way to fit them close together like a puzzle.


This whole project took me about a week because my attention span only lasted about 30 minutes at a time. That, and my fingers needed a break from the third degree hot glue burns. You need a LOT of acorns. I probably used 2 full gallon-sized ziplock bags. Do a little bit at a time and its super easy and (dare I say?) fun!

The finished product:

Happy fall! Too bad its already feeling like winter around here (wahhh wahhh)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love acorns! (minus the worms, of course). And good choice of ribbons. Where on earth do you find the time . . .?? xoxo Nana

    ReplyDelete

Followers