Monday, October 10, 2011

operation "crib sleepers"

operation crib sleepers was finally put into action last night.
for the past two weeks I've had this conversation with joel:
"tonight the girls are going to sleep in the crib for the first time..."
"ok"
then come around 8:00, this decision starts to look less and less appealing. I start getting tired, babies start getting fussy, and mama just wants some peace and quiet. which means just putting them in the car seats and having them sleep without a peep for the next 9 hours.

at which point I tell joel, "actually I'm going to do it tomorrow night because...
...we need to wait for the weekend,
...we need to get a bumper for the crib,
...they had a hard day,
...I had a hard day,
...the crib is too big,
...actually, the crib is too small,
...actually, we need two cribs,
...they need sleepsacks,
...they need a glowing seahorse..."

but alas, I motivated myself enough by reading sad stories of babies that died sleeping in their carseats (thanks, google).

so last night was rough. and mama is VERY tired today.
but....they did it!
emsley slept through the night like a champ. summer put up a good struggle but ended up falling back asleep when she woke up at 2 and then again at 4.

the first night is the hardest, right? tonight is going to be better than last night, right? RIGHT??!?!?!
and I never thought I'd say this, but that glowing seahorse? best purchase ever.



and an update on this morning's nap: turns out that sleeping next to a pillow is much more enjoyable than sleeping next to something that won't stop tossing and turning and kicking

6 comments:

  1. I know I mentioned this, but Knox slept in his carseat for the first 3 months of his life..when I put him in his crib finally he slept so well, I wished I had done it sooner. Change is soo hard. Of course, I didn't do it with 2 so it's a whole other story. They will get used to it though!! You will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time you guys got a bumper for that crib! There are just way too many horror stories about SIDS these days . . . If I were a baby (and I think I was once!) I would want a soft side to put my body against. And the pillow is an added bonus!! They look so peaceful in the last picture!! I just love my little sugar plums! XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. My niece had one of those seahorses, but it was left at my house on accident when her and her brother moved. I sleep with it sometimes when I miss her...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... I hope they get used to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't move Lyla to her crib (from the bassinet) until she was 6 months old. It was rough for the first few nights. I ended up having to swaddle her in a blanket again so she felt more secure and slept better. After a few nights I didn't have to swaddle her anymore. But that pillow looks like it's doing the trick. Just don't let them keep that pillow in there too once they start rolling around, because that's not a good idea (speaking of SIDS).

    ReplyDelete
  6. you CRACK me up with that glowing seahorse!
    so proud of the girls (and you!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers