Thursday, September 12, 2013

be kind.

So it was 6:00 in the evening and we were at Smith's grocery store. I had JJ in the cart and both girls were running wild behind me. They were good for the first few minutes because they got a cookie from the deli, but as soon as the cookie ended so did their calmness.

We were in the produce section and Emsley must have slipped because I turned around to see her flat on her back and an older lady with outstretched arms helping her up and asking if she was okay. It wasn't a bad fall or anything, but it was a brief moment of kindness that I appreciated.

Awhile later at the other end of the store, the girls' patience (and mine) were pretty much gone. We passed the book aisle and I saw all the awesome kids books and coloring books. So we went to that aisle and the girls started pulling books out and getting extremely excited over all their favorite characters. I attempted to put a few books away before grabbing both girls and walking away.

I was about 2-3 aisles away when this lady from the book aisle TRACKS ME DOWN and points to the books saying, "You are not going to buy those books? Those books your kids left all over the floor? You need to pick those up!"
She said a few other things that I don't quite remember because I was so caught off guard. I looked at her and motioned to my cart and toddlers (who were screaming at this point) and yelled "SERIOUSLY?!?" DO YOU SEE THEM??" (meaning my kids). I was already in a terrible mood at this point so I was in the mood for a good fight. She said something mean about how I needed to pick them up and I yelled at her that someone who works there would do it. She kept glaring and shaking her head at me and walked off as I yelled "YOU SHOULD DO IT THEN!"

So:
To the lady who helped Emsley off the floor and wiped her off:

Thank you for your kindness. You saw my baby slip and land on her back and you were genuinely concerned. You watched out for her when my hands were obviously too full. You didn't judge me for not keeping a better eye on her. You are one of the good ones.

To the hispanic lady in her 40-50's who had the audacity to come after me:

Who do you think you are?
Did you not see me trying to pick up books and get my kids out of that area, realizing quickly that it was literally impossible to get them all cleaned up? The moment I put 2 books back on the shelf, they had already gotten 5 more down. I only have two hands. They have four. You do the math.

Did you know that I didn't want my toddlers running wild, but that ridiculous store only ever has 2-3 racecar double shopping carts (when almost every person who walks through those doors has at least 2 kids)?
Did you know that with twin toddlers and a baby, not to mention a snoring husband with an early work schedule, I am lucky to get a 4 hour stretch of sleep at night? I am so tired, lady. I couldn't care less about books on the floor.
How about the fact that the only reason I was in that aisle was so that I could get a stolen minute of peace to figure out where to find a special lotion for my baby who has eczema getting worse by the day? (Which I never did find, thanks to you).
You saw my burden, I clearly pointed them all out to you in my anger, and yet your only mission was to embarrass and harass me.

It would have been so easy for you to pick up those books for me and move on. So kind, even. You were with a daughter my age, who had a baby around the same age as mine, and yet you followed me through the store just to call me out.
Shame on you. Not me. YOU. You made me cry, as much as I hate to admit it.

And while we're on the topic of manners, you and your daughter both saw me in that book aisle and wouldn't move your cart over no matter how many times I tried politely to get around you. You were speaking spanish then, so maybe I should assume that in your country that is how they do things. But here at the Lehi, Utah Smith's, I really doubt anyone cares about a bunch of books left on the floor.
Unbelievable.

This experience is a reminder to me of how important it is to be kind to complete strangers because you never know what they are going through :)
{and perhaps also a reminder never to shop at stores without double carts...}

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! It's happened several times to me and I think I cry every time. It's so demeaning how they treat you. I just don't understand it, I would never do anything like that! Sorry you had to go through that. Just know it does get easier. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you stuck up for yourself. You're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just lucky I wasn't there. I would not have been as KIND as you were to that horrible woman! My thought bubbles are going wild thinking of all the things that I might have said to her. HOW DARE HER? Who does she think she is, anyway??

    Focus on the kind ones. That's all that matters. And continue being kind yourself. That's what your children will see and imitate.

    xoxo Nana

    ReplyDelete

Followers